Sunday, April 10, 2011

The calculus affair

Via Sal, some excerpts from the blog The Musings of a Modern Hygienist

Back to reality. While I loved Hawaii, I really missed my kids and am glad to be home I always wonder what I missed with patients when I am gone. Apparently, in my absence, I missed seeing one of the largest pieces of calculus ever found in the mouth still attached to a tooth. Luckily, Dr. Sutton knew that I would want to see it, so he saved it for me. I kid you not-in a disposable cup with water. I witnessed a piece of something that measured at least 1 inch by 1/2 inch attached to an extracted tooth.

At first, I thought it was part of the alveolar bone, but after closer examination, sure enough, it was calculus.


As most hygienists know, pineapple is very acidic. Here's a little suggestion for anyone going to Hawaii: If you plan to eat lots of pineapple, plan for canker sores on your tongue. Luckily, I packed a small bottle of Peridex in my suitcase!


In this spiraling economy, many people have to look at new careers to stay employed.
One hygienist has accepted a job at the coroner's office in her town, working as a forensic technician. I actually think that would be very interesting.


The Idaho Dental Hygienists Association will be having its 45th annual session October 3rd and 4th. The theme is "Better Together."

I really think that with the direction of dentistry and dental hygiene, IDHA couldn't have made a better choice for the theme. The quote on the program-"Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much"- is from Helen Keller.

We are very lucky to have the nationally recognized speaking group "Earth, Wind and Fire" come to Boise for our meeting. The group consists of Shirley Gutkowski, RDH, BSDH; Debra Grant, RDH; and Beth Thompson, RDH. Their topic will be Better Together: Tomorrow's Dentistry Today. I have personally come to know each one of these ladies at different conferences I have attended, so believe me when I say we are really in for a treat.


Today, there was a wrap up session that included an original play by Anne Guignon regarding ethical dilemmas in the dental office. What a hoot!


I am finally home and things are settling down after a summer of traveling. It's really good to be home and back at work.

While out of the office, there were hygienists filling in for me. Being a little obsessive compulsive, I had to take a deep breath when I found things put away, but not in the exact place I had left them. I prefer the toothbrushes all facing the same way and the floss samples in neat little rows. Admittedly, these little things really don't matter to a normal person. The most important concern was how my patients did without me. Of course, they did fine—but they missed me!

It's good to be back.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats