Friday, December 12, 2008

Annals of running

But for a truly one-of-a-kind gift, nothing could beat what Michael Chambers received for his 40th birthday on Thursday: a world-class runner from Kenya for a day...Kiplagat was paid $400 to run with Chambers and have lunch with his family. ...
They ran eight miles, at a sturdy 7-minute-per-mile pace. It was quick for Chambers, but Kiplagat usually trains by running 10 or more miles at a 5:45-per-mile pace.
“We’re back,” Chambers said as the two entered the apartment again. “I won.”
Chambers was drenched in rain and sweat. Kiplagat looked as if he had done little more than climb a flight of stairs.
“I was pushing him a little bit,” Kiplagat said. “I wanted to see how fast he was. I was listening to his breathing. He was not breathing as hard as I thought. He looked very strong.”
Chambers noted just how quietly Kiplagat moves. His breath and his footsteps never got heavy, he said.
“It’s literally like running next to a cheetah,” Chambers said. —NYT


(From Dzyd Jane)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats