Monday, March 10, 2008

Dizzyhead challenge—Gygax edition

Name all the monsters on the cover!



Bonus/update: More D&D links, from our friends at Poor Richard.

UPDATE #2: Nice reminiscence by Jason Fry in the Wall Street Journal, with a note on vocabulary:

Those old Gygax rulebooks now strike me as purple prose, but they were a revelation to a 13-year-old who liked words. My mom regarded my D&D years with grumpy helplessness, but I remember her admitting that OK, Mr. Gygax's vocabulary was impressive. (Geek Admission #5: The word she noted was "diverticulum," from "The Vault of the Drow." Which was dungeon module D3. I can't remember if it's my day to pick the kid up from school, but I remember these things.)

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Brent Buckner said...

Monsters on cover of MM:
o dragon (red);
o centaur;
o unicorn;
o troll;
o owlbear; and
o roper.

Perhaps some other camouflaged ones also.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Ed Park said...

Amazing, Brent!

"Roper" totally escaped me. (I thought "Shrieking Mound"? "Shambling Mound"?) And for some reason I misidentified the owlbear as a "bugbear"?!

I spy a giant spider on the left...

I like the armpit hair on the unicorn...

5:47 PM  
Blogger Euge said...

Wow - that brings back memories... For some reason, I remember a fierce debate I had with my friend about who was the better D&D artist, DCS (which we pronounced 'dis') or DAT.

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats