Saturday, February 03, 2007

Great Scott!

A tip of the Dizzies hat to A.O. Scott for keeping it real (from his review of Because I Said So, the new Diane Keaton movie):

The dialogue yields few memorable jokes, and so the filmmakers fall back on trivial sight gags and bits of physical comedy....A gaggle of masseuses chatter in subtitles, proving that when all else fails, Asian women can be used as cheap comic stereotypes. (See also the chest waxer in “The 40-Year-Old Virgin” and the restaurant owner in “Freaky Friday,” among many other examples.)

Back when Freaky Friday came out (the Lohan/JLC version), I feared I was a touch strident in my review (in the PTSNBN), but that scene really stuck in my craw, it's completely cheap and insulting and ruined an otherwise enjoyable movie for me. I don't know that anyone else cared, or at least not that I read...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats