Thursday, August 16, 2007

Dizzies Newsfeeds™ for Thursday, August 16

1. Via Weekend Stubble, a fun project by Keith Phipps over at the Onion's AV Club, in which he reads through a box of old paperbacks.

2. New Ghost later today...

3. Via Slate/Magnum, an eye-opening portfolio of photos of Korea in commemoration of 8/15/1945, marking the end of Japan's colonization of the peninsula.

4. Dizzyhead Benno on Resurrecting the Champ at L Magazine. I like the perverse praising of Hartnett's "averageness of intelligence and talent."

5. Levi has the lowdown on two of the three amazing Lawrence Block books (Grifter's Game and The Girl With the Long Green Heart) brought out by Hard Case Crime. Side note: I've Been Reading is one of the best written literary blogs out there, and I don't say this just because his tastes match mine (Block, Borges, Powell) in a lot of cases.

6. In Portland, I went to Powell's (and went to Powell's...and went to Powell's). Among the books bought: This one!

8. Dizzyhead Jen sends this ouroboros by Ryan McGinness:



9. And I will mysteriously add my own (c. 1996):

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Levi Stahl said...

Holy shit--Helen DeWitt has a blog! That's fantastic news. The Last Samurai is one of my favorite novels--one of those that I passed on or bought for pretty much everyone I know and that I return to thinking about again and again.

It's been so long since that novel that I'd started to worry that DeWitt might not write another, so it's great to learn that she's writing somewhere at least.

PS Thanks for the kind words about my blog. It was a nice way to start an excruciatingly busy workday.

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats