Thursday, April 28, 2005

Inch on!

Rex Reed wrote the following in the current New York Observer (and I swear this is the last I'll post about the whole Reed-Boy brouhaha):

On Oldboy

Finally, a word about Korea. A few weeks ago, in my broadside against the gory Korean movie schlockfest Oldboy, I apparently raised the hackles of several readers who objected to the way I mentioned the Korean film industry and the fermented Korean national dish called kimchi in the same sentence. I’m not an admirer of political correctness in first-person byline opinion writing, but that doesn’t make me a racist, so if I inadvertently offended anyone who misinterpreted my humor, I apologize. I like Koreans. In truth, I have probably spent more time in Korea than any of the irate letter-writers currently bombarding me. I even lived there for several months while making a movie called Inchon! with Laurence Olivier, Jacqueline Bisset, Ben Gazzara, Richard Roundtree and Toshiro Mifune. We had many happy times, admired the lush landscape and liked the friendly people. We all hated the kimchi.

* * *

I guess this is an apology. I'm glad he likes Koreans. But this clarification doesn't really gibe with what he wrote. As Dizzyhead Nicole (well, I'm not sure that she's a Dizzyhead—she's the wife of Dizzyhead Benno) remarked, "Some of my best friends . . . "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats