Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Table-Talk of Parkus Grammaticus for May 27, 2008

I. Oughtables:

Scott: "A few weeks ago Laura has The Early Diary of Anaïs Nin checked out of the library, and I keep thinking the front cover reads The Early Diary of An Assassin."

Yesterday, reading The Week, I thought I read (in a Rauschenberg obit): "But by switching to his left hand, and with the help of assassins, he kept working." (He actually had assistants.)

II. Over at TPF, Mike Atkinson on Philip Schultz. (Who? Exactly.)

III. Ouroboros alert! The L.A. Times review of Personal Days got recycled for the Chicago Tribune's online edition. Under the "Layoffs and Downsizing" tag, you can see that the photo being used is...the one that appeared on The Dizzies!



(Shouldn't "Arlo Ogg" get a photo credit?)

IV. A letter to the Times from 1986: "The Sun Was Eclipsed by Fields of Ice"

V. What did Levi leave in New York?

Then there's the question of where I checked said mysterious object. The ticket bears no writing aside from that red "28," and gives no clue to its origins. I suppose the next time I'm in New York I could retrace my steps, presenting this claim check at every bar and restaurant I visited this time around, enduring blank stare after blank stare until, finally, someone takes the ticket with a brisk nod, spins on a heel and disappears into the back room to return moments later with . . . what?

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Jenny Davidson said...

Arlo Ogg SHOULD get a photo credit--I like how you have put that question in a smaller font?!?

9:09 AM  
Blogger Ed Park said...

Isn't it bizarre that they should surreptitiously use an image from a blog?! And the image does not show up on the review page proper...

Not that I mind—I put newspaper photos on this blog all the time, so it seems only fair. BUT STILL! I sense we are on the threshold of a new blog/newspaper relationship!

xoxo,
The Ouroboros

9:51 AM  
Blogger largehearted boy said...

Ed, sorry for the unrelated comment.

Would you be interested in submitting a Book Notes essay for your novel at my blog, Largehearted Boy? E-mail me at boy@largeheartedboy.com if so, I've heard so many wonderful things about your book from people whose opinions I respect. Thanks.

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats