Friday, July 13, 2007

Serpent's tale

Dizzyhead Pete (Cf. comment in earlier post by Hannah):

Will the wonders of the Internet nexer cease? I remember there being an episode involving a tattoo of the ouroboros, but I couldn't remember who went under the needle: Mulder or Scully (was sort of holding out hope that Scully wasn't a lower-back-tat kind of girl). It turns out it was indeed Scully (no word on whether it was in 'bullseye territory'), and there's a whole website devoted to that very episode, entitled "Never Again."
Seems Scully got the tattoo -- surprise! -- b/c she was having an existential crisis, frustrated at her life's seeming lack of progression. Reading over the summary, it seems like this particular episode was a bit of a writers' joke in that the show had clearly always revolved around Mulder, w/ Scully merely playing straight-(wo)man. Here -- for maybe the first time -- the episode concerned mainly her, with the tattoo being the literal representation of the writers' own frustration at her being slightly one-dimensional up 'til then.
Whoa. Sorry. Maybe I'm reading way too much into a show I liked in high school. Maybe they just thought the symbol was cool, which it is.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Izzy Grinspan said...

Somehow I saw "ouroboros" as "outer boroughs," having missed the original post, and read this entire quote as if Scully had gotten a map of Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and the Bronx (with a big gap in the middle, I guess?) on her back.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Izzy Grinspan said...

(Last comment was from me, using a Blogger account I didn't even realize I had.)

12:31 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Don't worry, Izz — I'm one step ahead...!

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats