Friday, March 31, 2006

Watching the Detectives

From "Through the Looking-Glass," a piece I wrote for the VLS last spring:

Lewis Carroll's Alice was Lee Tandy Schwartzman's age when she ventured through the looking-glass in 1871. Intriguingly, the crippled detectives' main weapon against the Red Romer is a large mirror, inherited from their grandfather, which they find under their house. Any assault gets reflected back. And the name "Red Romer" conjures the "Redrum" revelation in Stephen King's 1977 novel The Shining. Is he so afraid of the children's mirror because it shows him to be a murderer? Mirrorlike, the book overflows with repetitions, twinning (Lee and Sylvia are the same age), echoes. (Emphasis added)

It's been years since I read The Shining, and quite a while since I saw the film, but reading this passage, I was shocked to find another Crippled/Shining resonance, which escaped me when I wrote it. The twins! The creepy twins in The Shining (played by actors who were actually not identical twins, but sisters two years apart)! I was going to post a picture here, but that might be too much for anyone to handle.

Googling "Shining twins" produced this nugget (from About.com):

Lisa and Louise Burns (“The Shining Twins”) are living in London and pursued careers outside of acting (Lisa has a degree in Literature and Language, while Louise is a microbiologist).

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenny Davidson said...

The details about those 'twins': fascinating....

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats