Sunday, June 19, 2011

The entire field of outdoor sports

"Her dress of sleazy silk was bright burned orange painted with black sail-boats sailing over purple trees and red football players playing over steeples and white skiers skiing over sail-boats cascading to the hem and locked acrobats, the entire field of outdoor sports, it seemed, being on her body, for her scarf was painted with spidery tennis players and tennis nets and ice-skaters skating on silver ponds and red polo riders riding red horses, and there were little footballs hanging from her charm bracelets, tennis rackets and ice-skates and golf clubs and numerous other trophies, some of field and stream, satin fishes running around the hem of her chiffon petticoat edged with yellow lace, butterflies embroidered upon the knees of her thin silk stocking, and her skirts came up high above her knees, higher when she moved, showing her yellow satin garters and pairs of stuffed red valentine hearts dangling from ribbons and faces which were painted powder puffs, and the coat seemed shrunken or a size too small like something she might have worn in a remote youth." — from p. 2 of Marguerite Young's 1198-page Miss MacIntosh, My Darling (1965)

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger dan visel said...

I really feel like a good use of my summer would be reading that - kind of embarrassing how long it's sat on my shelf.

11:30 PM  
Blogger Ed Park said...

Agreed...Let's organize a MMMD book club. (It will be the least popular club ever devised.)

1:44 PM  
Blogger Will said...

I still have a hideous 2-volume 80s paperback in a slipcase (now that I say that I bet it's by someone famous). Can a book club have just three people?

1:25 PM  
Blogger Ed Park said...

Yes! Three. This would actually be the best book club in the history of book clubs. I'm going to nominate Levi Stahl (though he doesn't know it yet), and Damion Searls expressed interest...

Anyone else?

Let's take it one page at a time (I'm kind of serious)...

3:00 PM  
Blogger Will said...

Poor Levi.

Ok, I'm in. I love the one-page-at-a-time method. What do you think, group blog or group tumblr for discussion?

1:49 PM  
Blogger Levi Stahl said...

I'm in. I have pretty much no idea what I'm in for, but it's not like Ed's ever led me astray (for 1100 pages) before, right?

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats