Monday, February 21, 2011

Career opportunities

“I think my whole life has been leading up to this,” said Eileen, a 31-year-old schoolteacher from Alexandria, Va. “I walked around my college campus as a crash test dummy telling people not to drink and drive; I’ve been the Chick-fil-A cow and my school’s panther mascot. As the cow, I got my tail pulled a lot but knew exactly how to deal with it. I’m so ready for this.”—"Nationals' Racing Presidents Tryout No Laughing Matter," NYT



Blogger Levi Stahl said...

The racing presidents are one of the great joys of baseball. I remember once marveling with friends at a race we were watching during a televised Nationals game that found the presidents staying perfectly in character: Washington was running in stately fashion, Jefferson was sprinting in unsustainable bursts, Lincoln was loping along behind . . . and TR was flat-out cheating, so focused on the goal that he cut across the diamond! (Not that TR was the sort to cheat, mind you; just that he was ultra-competitive.)

The sausage race in Milwaukee is the king of this sort of entertainment, but the presidents are a wonderful addition.

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

View My Stats