Thursday, June 18, 2009

Notes on Notes on "Notes" (for Jacket Copy's "PoMo Month")


Last week, columnist Ed Park reviewed "A Monster's Notes" by Laurie Sheck.

This is his remixed, expanded, deconstructed/reconstructed remake of that review.


Jacket Copy (L.A. Times)



A SAMPLE:
Page 271, in its entirety: ". . . The monks in their patchwork rags . . . and I a patchwork . . . the workings of each mind a patchwork, each self roughly stitched as you stitched me."

“Winter darkness pulls over like a monk’s cowl, enclosing us in worlds where strange things take place, where anything can happen, where the mind goes where it’s never gone before, and stays.” -- Gretel Ehrlich, "The Future of Ice"

Fungibility of the notebook mode. Juxtaposition is easy, at times even arbitrary; effects perhaps no less revelatory or pungent.

On Amazon’s Omnivoracious blog, Tom writes: “Ed Park's notes on 'A Monster's Notes' by Laurie Sheck: ‘I started this review before finishing the book, in the form of notes. I didn't know I was writing the review yet. I have another file just as long. Fungibility of the notebook mode. Juxtaposition is easy, at times even arbitrary; effects perhaps no less revelatory or pungent.’ [His notes weren't really revelatory for me -- what do you think?]”

I think you’re wrong.

And we’re not done yet.






-----------------------------------
Photo: Director James Whale, left, with actor Boris Karloff on break from the 1931 filming of "Frankenstein." Credit: Los Angeles Times

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats