Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Potentially colorful

From Dzyd Jane (source unknown):

Ichiro does not speak English in interviews, so he uses a translator. In my experience, translators usually take bits and pieces from what players say, making a potentially colorful answer somewhat bland, but neither Ichiro nor his translator has ever seemed to have had that problem.

Once, when asked about going to Cleveland, he was quoted by a translator as saying: “To tell the truth, I’m not excited to go to Cleveland, but we have to. If I ever saw myself saying I’m excited going to Cleveland, I’d punch myself in the face, because I’m lying.”

Or, another time, when asked about facing Daisuke Matsuzaka, he said: “I hope he arouses the fire that’s dormant in the innermost recesses of my soul. I plan to face him with the zeal of a challenger.”

UPDATE: D.T.M. Hua sends this link:

Every year, after the AL manager addresses his team, Ichiro bursts from his locker, a bundle of kinetic energy, and proceeds, in English, to disparage the National League with an H-bomb of F-bombs, stunning first-timers who had no idea Ichiro speaks the queen’s language fluently and making returnees happy that they had played well enough to see the pep talk again.

Hua adds: "This is like when I went to the Yao Ming press conference his first year in the NBA, and it was clear to any bilngual that his translator was merely a diversionary scrim."

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats