Turtles and newts
OK—fine! Five more books for you five-book-at-a-time readers!
1. Turtle Diary, Russell Hoban
2. Rendezvous in Black, Cornell Woolrich
3. War With the Newts, Karel Capek
4. A High Wind in Jamaica, Richard Hughes
5. When the Sacred Ginmill Closes, Lawrence Block
Here's a passage from Hoban's TURTLE DIARY—one of several I wrote out in the Black Notebook (about which, more later):
"The sandpipers, the curlews and the redshanks, all pure Bewick, seemed to draw serenity from the sheer detail of their markings. A puff was bathing with its ruff spread out as large as possible. It looked of the film world and as if it might call everyone 'Darling.'"